You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    Not seen him for a few months. It coincided with Sky parting company with Raketherake.
    Surely reason alone to get back with them! It’s a shame to lose sweethearts like dial
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    tikay1Small blind200.00200.001390.00
    dragon1964Big blind400.00600.001410.00
    Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A
    tiga123Fold
    HENDRIK62Fold
    tikay1Raise1000.001600.00390.00
    dragon1964All-in1410.003010.000.00
    tikay1All-in390.003400.000.00
    dragon1964Unmatched bet220.003180.00220.00
    tikay1Show
    • A
    • J
    dragon1964Show
    • Q
    • A
    Flop
    • K
    Turn
    River
    tikay1Win highTwo Pairs, 10s and 3s3180.003180.00
    No qualifying low hand
    It's a stupid game played by stupid old men.

p.s. probably see you later, after the footy.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,473

^^^^

;)

Good to see you here @dragon1964

Even my ranges get wider as the stacks get shorter......

Nasty one that - you had me both ends, & I scooped.

As these 2 lads said, funny old game.

• Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2018
    'I put some horrible beats on @Enut , too. I outdrew him dreadfully, then he got lucky v me the very next hand with what was left of his stack. As I typed, "there you go, win some, lose some" he busted in ugly fashion the very next hand. He ran terribly all evening',

I had a wonderful evening, it's always a joy to lose to you Tikay as I feel proud about subsidising your retirement! While my DYM run was horrendous I actually got heads up in one of 'those hateful MTT PLO8 Bounty Hunter thingys' and got my opponent all in with two pairs against my made flush on the turn, with no low possible he had only 4 outs, which that evening was about a 98-99% certainty, sure enough he housed up and a short while later ended up beating me when I shipped it with A3xx on a 24x flop, sure enough he called (as he should with a set) and I managed to not get any share of the pot as I missed my 738997 outs (approx).

Still, for some obscure reason I seem to take the bad beats easier at PPLO8 than at holdem, maybe it's because you're never that far ahead (generally).

Onwards and upwards, maybe see you at the tables this evening.

• Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,277
    Bump... How many in a row did you win last night?

Glad I wasn't there as I'm sure I would have been on the wrong end of most of them.

On the plus side I did hit a shot like this playing tennis last night

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/brown-hits-impossible-hot-shot-bergamo-2016
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Enut said:

Glad I wasn't there as I'm sure I would have been on the wrong end of most of them.

Ha, it was one of those weird days.

It began with winning 11 of the first 12 games of NLH I played, & ended with 8 in a row, of which 7 were PLO8 & the very last was NLH.

Plenty of losses in between mind.

Tennis - Nice shot sir.

I have been receiving visits from a pair of twins - if time permits, (& anyone is interested) I'll tell you all about them tomorrow. Bit busy with, you know, stuff today.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Enut said:

Ha, it was one of those weird days.

It began with winning 11 of the first 12 games of NLH I played, & ended with 8 in a row, of which 7 were PLO8 & the very last was NLH.

Plenty of losses in between mind.

Tennis - Nice shot sir.

I have been receiving visits from a pair of twins - if time permits, (& anyone is interested) I'll tell you all about them tomorrow. Bit busy with, you know, stuff today.
    I replied to Tuney as per the bolded part, & it does look a bit chirpy, so for balance, after that amazing run of good fortune, the other Twin visited me yesterday, completely unannounced.

The result - at NLH - was just 4 wins out of 20 games, & a thumping loss of £70, before rescuing a smidgeon of pride (& money) with a £12 win (P12, W8) at PLO8 to end the day.

You won't want to hear the amazing array of hands I managed to lose with, or how. Impressive stuff though.

So on Sunday, I was the Poker GOAT, completely happy with my game, & confident that my faculties & mental dexterity (I'm still 5 & 6 tabling) were undimmed by age.

And yesterday, I was thinking....well, the complete opposite.

Neither are necessarily true, of course, the answer sits somewhere in between. Probably.

Last week I made over £100 (including £35 from Rewards & Pentagon), & by close of play yesterday (Tuesday) I had dropped £73 of that £100.

Amazing how this game gets inside our heads.

Losing does not bother me one iota, nor does dropping a few bob now & then. It might be a pride thing that hurts most - "I can/can't still play the game reasonably well" - or just a bit of a curly lip.

• Options

Been playing a good amount of NLH to boost Pentagon, & due to lack of PLO8 games running.

Really enjoying it, to my surprise, & I'm starting to find my feet again at the 2 card game, & sort of know where I am in a hand. The games start wham bang, one after the other, so I can start 5 games in 5 minutes, & that means, all the games run in (blinds) parallel. Gets pretty exciting when 4 or 5 tables are all at that 4 handed shove wide & often stage. Still MUCH prefer to be the shover than the caller. Shoving with K-2 is way way easier than calling with A-7.

The divergence in ability in the NLH games - I've just been playing the fiver versions - is extraordinary.

There are some eye-poppingly eccentric plays on view from Team Limp, balanced by some players who seem to do everything exactly correctly.

Almost all the games have included @VlalIlia (sp?), & he is way way above my class. Other notables spotted - you can tell, just by watching them for a few orbits - are @Mudshark @Mayhem357 @PNM & a good few others. Whilst I make it a rule never to table select in these things, you really don't want a tableful of those lads.

And have you seen the SNG Sharky of @JIM_LAD ? Sheesh. They say you can't make money at DYM's, especially Turbos (& he plays plenty of Turbos) but he's printing the stuff.

Amazing how good some of these boys are.

Bumped into @Jac35 once too. Hero'd him, like a boss.
  • Options

Oh yes, I mentioned those twins.

I'm not actually sure they ARE twins - I've never seen them both in the same room at the same time, & they only visit me one at a time.

When one turns up, I'm never quite sure which one it is, they look outwardly identical. Both are female, I'm sure of that.

Usually, after 20 minutes or so, I've found out which one it is.

Description?

Yeah, they both look like this.

The only other clue I have is the initials to their Christian names - P & N.

P is my favourite, by far. N is real nasty.
  • Options

P came to visit last night & I enjoyed a nice run on low volume, winning 10 from 15 @ NLH & 7 from 10 @ PLO8, for a profit on the day of just shy of £30.

That'll do nicely.
  • Options

Don't know if you guys follow these things, but Pokerstars crashed again last night, 2nd time in less than 3 weeks, & all MTT's were cancelled.

Jeez, the players went loopy. Don't think poker players are particularly tolerant, on the whole, for some of them the slightest problem is enough to kick off, & for some reason, being rude to the Site Rep is in order, but being rude to players must never happen. I guess Danny N earned his wages last night, fielding all the flak.

Just 2 weeks ago Party Poker had the same sort of issue & had to cancel all MTT's.

The software behind an online poker site is enormously complex, & these things will continue to happen - they just will.
  • Options

Midway through a £3 game, this popped up in the chat box.

xxxxx: yesss daughter just gave birth im officially a grandad !

Grandad carried on playing, & eventually, by way of celebrating, bust me.

Marv.
  • Options
    GELDYGELDY Member Posts: 5,202
    Tikay10 said:

Don't know if you guys follow these things, but Pokerstars crashed again last night, 2nd time in less than 3 weeks, & all MTT's were cancelled.

Jeez, the players went loopy. Don't think poker players are particularly tolerant, on the whole, for some of them the slightest problem is enough to kick off, & for some reason, being rude to the Site Rep is in order, but being rude to players must never happen. I guess Danny N earned his wages last night, fielding all the flak.

Just 2 weeks ago Party Poker had the same sort of issue & had to cancel all MTT's.

The software behind an online poker site is enormously complex, & these things will continue to happen - they just will.

But if your business revolves around being the supplier of one mission critical piece of software you should have fail-safes, back-ups and disaster recovery plans. Two crashes in a month should be considered unacceptable.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,013
    In the bad old days of Party, two crashes in a week was an aim....
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    GELDY said:

Tikay10 said:

But if your business revolves around being the supplier of one mission critical piece of software you should have fail-safes, back-ups and disaster recovery plans. Two crashes in a month should be considered unacceptable.
    Unacceptable? Well it's hardly a disaster, but it's certainly not desirable.

Redundancy is built into these things, on all sites, back-up servers & God knows what else. But things happen, they just do.

There are so many variables that are outwith the control of the host site. DDOS attacks happen regularly now, & there are systems to mitigate them, but as defences get more sophisticated, so do the attacks.

Submarine cables are often a problem, too, when one of these fails it's always a big headache, & most poker sites use these as servers are almost always based overseas.

Am certainly not defending 'Stars, God no, but it's not just a matter of having good, reliable, well-maintained hardware & software, as so many things happen outwith their control.

We've come a long way since Online Poker started, just before 2000, it's immeasurably better, but there will always be occasional problems.

2 in a fortnight is running pretty bad I'd say, our friend Variance must have been in an evil mood.

Incidentally, the way players spoke to the Site Rep was a disgrace. Sure, the site should not crash, & yeah, it's annoying, but personally, I see no need for these lads to abuse the Site Rep, who is just trying to communicate as best as he or she can under difficult circumstances. Amusingly (not...) there were more multi-exclamation marks than enough, it was all "wot a disgrace!!!!!" sorta thing. I know what a single exclamation mark means, as I went to school, but I've no idea what 5 of them in a row means.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

In the bad old days of Party, two crashes in a week was an aim....

Ha, yeah, it used to be terrible.

To be fair, they are much better these days.

Sky Poker's overall reliability (measured by % availability) is as good as any Online Poker site, though of course the software has these little glitches which upset folk, which - up to a point - is understandable.

Hope I've not bokked Sky Poker in writing that.....
  • Options

It's official - I've gone at the game.

Played a lot yesterday, by & large I was luck neutral & neither P or N - the Twins of Variance - dropped by.

3 sessions in all. A short 10 game NLH session which I split 5-5 but lost £6, then another NLH session which I lost by the odd game in 15 for a £12.50 loss, followed by 16 games of PLO8 which I won 12-4, including a 9 game winning streak, for a profit of £22.70.

Made a complete mess of my last 2 PLO8 games due to impatience, including 1 @ £15, causing a £40 swing the wrong way.

So after around 6 hours of play, and including assumed Rewards & Pentagon money, I made..... £8.30.

That's an hourly rate of around £2, so I'd be a millionaire if I could play 192 hours every day.
  • Options

A convo developed in the chat box last night about Sky Poker aliases which include a profanity.

So rather like the inquisitive 8 year old schoolboy when presented with his first dictionary, I went looking on Sharky to see what we have here on Sky Poker.

21 aliases begin with fu**

26 aliases begin with cu**

4 aliases begin with reta**

When I see these aliases, I can't help but wonder what the owners of them are like.

I should add that most of these screen-names are now banned, but all of them have existed, albeit briefly in many cases.

Whatever possesses anyone to come up with names like that? T
  • Options
    68Trebor68Trebor Member Posts: 1,943
    Its a good job Marco Fu doesn't play on here.
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Tikay10 said:

It's official - I've gone at the game.

Played a lot yesterday, by & large I was luck neutral & neither P or N - the Twins of Variance - dropped by.

3 sessions in all. A short 10 game NLH session which I split 5-5 but lost £6, then another NLH session which I lost by the odd game in 15 for a £12.50 loss, followed by 16 games of PLO8 which I won 12-4, including a 9 game winning streak, for a profit of £22.70.

Made a complete mess of my last 2 PLO8 games due to impatience, including 1 @ £15, causing a £40 swing the wrong way.

So after around 6 hours of play, and including assumed Rewards & Pentagon money, I made..... £8.30.

That's an hourly rate of around £2, so I'd be a millionaire if I could play 192 hours every day.

From what I can tell, merely managing to beat the rake in DYM's is an achievement, so well played that man I say.

Out of curiosity, I know very little about PLO other than that it's supposed to make the variance of NLH seem like a walk in the park by comparison. Is PLO8 an even higher variance game still, or is there no real difference between the two Omahas for 'swingyness'?

Best of luck!*

*Sorry, had to get at least one apostrophe in here somewhere :D.