You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Cash players... please resolve this argument for me:

Comments

• Options
    donkeyplopdonkeyplop Member Posts: 3,795
    edited February 2010
    but what if by the time you get to the furthest greengrocers its closed??? :)
  • Options
    AIRWALKERAIRWALKER Member Posts: 680
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash players... please resolve this argument for me::
    In Response to Re: Cash players... please resolve this argument for me: : Hey Beaneh, I know this...lol You seem to be making assumptions about my overall poker play that are unfair and simply not true! why does everything have to be decided pre flop? Why spend hours building BR to lose it all on one hand, against someone you can't get a read from? I'm not trying to be confrontational but instinct tells me to fold on this occasion, had I have called I would have wished that I hadn't!!! As it happens - for my limit I am a successful cash player..believe it or not it's tourneys that I struggle with :o) All the best x
    Posted by TRIP5
    +1 Trip. This is how i feel about it. People are being a bit tight on Webby and DYM players.

I normally start on these tables with 2 quid and if i build a stack of a fiver or so i have grafted for it.
    I would feel too bad loosing the lot of it to this nutter and not everyone can just think oh well i will just get another 2 quid 3 or four times because mathematically they were justified in betting lots pre-flop. Every time i loose my stake money i feel bad when i am getting more money to play and kick myself for not playing a bit tighter. Is this wrong?
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited February 2010
    but what if by the time you get to the furthest greengrocers its closed??? :)
    Posted by donkeyplop
    If you read my in depth analysis of the greengrocer trade you will see that I have fully covered this.

The furthest greengrocer may well have decided to close his shop or even gone bust.
    However, there will always be hypermarkets and some people are happy to wait for another day and make sure they get to the hypermarket then.

I hope that this helps.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash players... please resolve this argument for me: : +1 Trip. This is how i feel about it. People are being a bit tight on Webby and DYM players. I normally start on these tables with 2 quid and if i build a stack of a fiver or so i have grafted for it. I would feel too bad loosing the lot of it to this nutter and not everyone can just think oh well i will just get another 2 quid 3 or four times because mathematically they were justified in betting lots pre-flop. Every time i loose my stake money i feel bad when i am getting more money to play and kick myself for not playing a bit tighter. Is this wrong?
    Posted by AIRWALKER
    Experienced cash players would say that it is wrong because you are not playing optimally and you should have sufficient bankroll to cover the scenarios where you lose when making this play.
    However, we don't all have to play the game the same way or with the same objectives so you can play it any way you like.
    Many people are far too quick to criticise other players when it is really a subjective decision.
  • Options
    ybyb Member Posts: 1,471
    edited February 2010
    Every time i loose my stake money i feel bad when i am getting more money to play and kick myself for not playing a bit tighter. Is this wrong?
    Posted by AIRWALKER

Yes. If you are playing with scared money you aren't going to be a profitable cash player tbh. 

• Options
    donkeyplopdonkeyplop Member Posts: 3,795
    edited February 2010
    this is very confusing i will just order my apples from waitrose's delivery company ocado!!

;)
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited February 2010
    this has become ridiculous... the idea of an anology is too simplify a real life problem, this is over complicating things... if we assume i got his range correct then its a +EV call and ill take any +EV situation i can get and pile in as much money as i can. Gus Hansen called... i call.
  • Options
    cottladcottlad Member Posts: 439
    edited February 2010
          There are indeed many greengrocers but the nearer ones offer the worse deal.
    How on earth do you know?
    I should also have said that we are walking along the street with 4 or 5 other guys who are the ones who may occasionally give us £5/£10 as we progress. They are also losing money from their pockets and it is possible that I will give them £5/£10 to help them along too.
    What on earth has this got to do with our decision to call or fold here?
    Also, there are lots of cashpoints along the way so we can always keep a plentiful supply of cash to hand if we wish. While it's true that each greengrocer only offers us one go, we can shop at several greengrocers and we do know what the ratio of apples is at each shop - that is the whole point.
    Exactly..... a) we can reload and keep going in this hand..... and b) we do know the ratio in this hand...... it's 60/40!!!!!  MINIMUM!!!!!!  Unless of course you are looking at this hand as a stand alone and not part of the thousands of hands you play along the way.  I think yr falling into the trap of thinking you may be less than 60/40 in the hand...... if you think like this instead of putting this hand towards an average results base you seriously need to re-evaluate how you think.  Of course he could have AA but over the LONGTERM we will be minimum 60/40 fave...

I might choose to support my local greengrocer and am very glad when other people support him too but I'm not going to criticise someone who wants to wait until they get to the hypermarket at the end of the street, albeit a hypermarket with a flawed business model that may well go broke or shut up shop early.
    But we aren't buying apples at a supermarket we are trying to make as much money as possible........ if the hypermarket is closed then at least you need to be making money along the way if you have the correct odds?  No?  You're gonna get to the hypermarket at exactly the same time whether its open or gone bust.....

There will always be hypermarkets in my experience; even if we don't manage to get their fantastic offer today we will do on another day.
    Why don't we take their value offers WHENEVER we can instead of waiting days for an offer that may not appear?

It's likely that some of our friends will have got richer quicker than us but we will also make money over time and are quite happy with that.
    Are you saying here that you'd rather make £5 by playing 1 hand over the same amount of time instead of playing 3 hands and winning £10?  um......

The problem with shopping at greengrocers is that there are far too many people who are critical of other people shopping for the deal that suits them best.  As I said before, we don't all have to shop at the same grocers but we do need to allow other people to shop where they like.
    Wat?????  i'm not insisting anything..... the choice is theirs......  if i tell someone that the £1000 TV they are about to buy is £300 cheaper next door and they choose to spend the £1000 without good reason (incorrectly) i won't insist they go next door..... i will just think they are losing money unnecessarily and wonder at some peoples logic.....  a bit like this thread.....  if you choose not to call (incorrectly) i'll respect your decision but i won't agree with it.... furthermore I will tell you that your wrong.....  if only to protect other players from listening to poor advice.

Please tell me that you understand now. I'm not growing weary and I'm quite happy to extend this analogy if you wish but I sense that the elastic is about to snap.
    Posted by MereNovice    
    I will never understand someone passing up a 60/40 opportunity in cash poker i'm afraid......  extend this analogy as far as you want :)

PS..... i don't wanna make this thread nasty.....  my previous post wasn't aimed entirely at you.  I just don't understand sometimes how 3 + 2 = 6
  • Options
    AIRWALKERAIRWALKER Member Posts: 680
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash players... please resolve this argument for me: : Yes. If you are playing with scared money you aren't going to be a profitable cash player tbh. 
    Posted by yb
    Like i said, i have always kicked myself for loosing my buy in, even if i can replace it easily. Sometimes i havn't got a lot left but i am more reluctant to shove pre-flop because i want to play as long as pos because i love to play.

I sometimes end up winning and sometimes not but i always play to play, first and formost.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash players... please resolve this argument for me: : i'm not insisting anything..... the choice is theirs......  if i tell someone that the £1000 TV they are about to buy is £300 cheaper next door and they choose to spend the £1000 without good reason (incorrectly) i won't insist they go next door..... i will just think they are losing money unnecessarily and wonder at some peoples logic.....  a bit like this thread.....  if you choose not to call (incorrectly) i'll respect your decision but i won't agree with it.... furthermore I will tell you that your wrong.....  if only to protect other players from listening to poor advice.
    Posted by cottlad
    i think this sums it all up very well... you can criticise people for playing badly and people will say its their money they can do what you want with it, but the main point is that the criticism is constructive... if not for the person being criticised... for others who will invariably find themselves in the same situation.
  • Options
    hurst05hurst05 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited February 2010
    what did you do blackfish? and what was the outcome if you called? if u have already said i dont really want to traul through this long thread to find out :) 
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    what did you do blackfish? and what was the outcome if you called? if u have already said i dont really want to traul through this long thread to find out :) 
    Posted by hurst05
    I fist pump insta called, he had K4o and flopped trip kings... nh sir.
  • Options
    hurst05hurst05 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash players... please resolve this argument for me: : I fist pump insta called, he had K4o and flopped trip kings... nh sir.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    when its your day its your day
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Here's a question mere........
    You hold AsJs
    Your opponent goes allin and flips his cards to show you Kc4c

Do you call?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Here's a question mere........ You hold AsJs Your opponent goes allin and flips his cards to show you Kc4c Do you call?
    Posted by cottlad
    For 250bb?
    Is this a one-time only offer or can I guarantee that he will make me similar offers repeatedly?

I would be nearly 63% favourite given these particular hands.

I suspect that I know what your answers to these questions are and I'm sure you know that I would call him. I would also call with AsJs against someone who has a 30% range when I don't know his hand.
    However, I'm not going to criticise anyone who would decide not to take this gamble.

Please see your PMs for an example when I (and a lot of people) would turn down a 60/40 shot in poker.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    am not criticizing....... am just pointing out facts.....  would you prefer me to say they are correct?

• Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited February 2010
    So did we work out the best place to buy apples?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    am not criticizing....... am just pointing out facts.....  would you prefer me to say they are correct?
    Posted by cottlad
    I'd prefer you to say that it's a matter of judgement and not a matter of dogma. :-)

It's fine to say that they are missing out on valoooo but some people are happy with that. We all have different degrees of gamble in us.

Peace?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Posted by beaneh
    If you want a happy medium of price and quality i would suggest Pink Lady's from Morrisons.
    Stay away from Asda fruit and veg...... it tastes of aassss :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Posted by beaneh
    I hope we're moving towards an agreement that you can buy them where you like depending on your lifestyle and ethical values. :-)