You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

The Edges £100 to £1000 challenge.

Comments

• stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,627
    waller02 said:

Love your honesty and have nothing but respect for the way you have turned your life around.

BTW, Skybet are offering odds of 15/8 on you having had to chuck a young @stokefc out of Shelleys for being a drunken mess. I'm lumping on.

Have a good weekend and gl at the tables.

ha ha @waller02
    the clubs i went to sold booze but the cliental didn,t drink booze if you catch my drift
    happy happy happy times
    it was a part of my life that will never leave me but i have to say if i hadn,t met the wife my life would of went in a completely different direction , the wrong direction
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,133

ha ha @waller02
    the clubs i went to sold booze but the cliental didn,t drink booze if you catch my drift
    happy happy happy times
    it was a part of my life that will never leave me but i have to say if i hadn,t met the wife my life would of went in a completely different direction , the wrong direction

Shellys never really did much bar trade except bottled water lol
  • SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    stokefc said:

waller02 said:

Love your honesty and have nothing but respect for the way you have turned your life around.

BTW, Skybet are offering odds of 15/8 on you having had to chuck a young @stokefc out of Shelleys for being a drunken mess. I'm lumping on.

Have a good weekend and gl at the tables.

ha ha @waller02
    happy happy happy times
    Ahh, loved those clubs/times. Not sure if they've ever really left me.

Fab, illuminating, engaging read @TheEdge949 - keep it up.
  • GREGSTERGREGSTER Member Posts: 383
    Thanks for taking the time to answer, hadn't thought about the raffles and lottery funding for the church.

Our bodies are certainly amazing with what they can be trained to do and cope with.

Best of luck on and off the tables.

Greg.
  • madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    I've just contributed £2 to his target! WP and I hope to meet u in the singles for my revenge, sincerely Ian P
    Ok decided not to play the freezeouts tonight but to call it a week.

To be honest, Im not even sure that the poker over the last couple of days has been the first priority. To see the way that some of the threads brought people together and gave some an outlet for their frustration and suffering was nothing short of incredible and its my sincere hope that we can keep engaging via email and the like to address problems and provide understanding. Sometimes the biggest differences are made by just being there for someone to reach out to.

Personally if those discussions have had a positive impact on just one persons life than every pound Ive ever lost on this site will be worth it.

Speaking of which the balance at weeks end is £145 so about £25 down on the week which hasnt seen my best game, something I shall look to rectify next week.

I hope that wherever you played you smashed it.

Til next time good luck and rungood

Mark
  • Summers119Summers119 Member Posts: 193
    I agree Mark the forum has been very positive recently especially regarding mental health. Its quite incredible really a game that involves people trying to exploit each other and take their money actually brings people together as everyone here loves the game. Its great to see.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,988

I agree Mark the forum has been very positive recently especially regarding mental health. Its quite incredible really a game that involves people trying to exploit each other and take their money actually brings people together as everyone here loves the game. Its great to see.

That is (mostly) true.

Another really good thing is, when people ask for help, some really top players are happy to help.

People should focus more on the really positive things this forum does.
    Slightly more switched on today although early doors wasnt particularly good with a combination of weak plays allowing opponents to outdraw on turn and river and a propensity to overbet holdings forcing weaker hands out thus losing value.

I always seem to be caught in the quandry of making them pay for their draws and forcing the draws out by betting too big. I either bet too small and theyre all over it like a cheap suit or too big and Im waving goodbye to chips as they fold.

Anyway finally managed to do something in a bounty hunter taking 2nd in the 23.00 turbo for £25+change and £14+change for the heads

The deepstacks all played the same got to about 2.5x starting stack and couldnt kick on (see above).

Played the 2 late freezeouts although tbh the 1am resembled bingo as players went at it like a hyper turbo b/h.

The 2am. however was a slightly more sedate affair with an unusually large field. Very rarely does this one get 20+ runners and paying 5 spots I was looking for the win til I ran AK suited into KK gg 3rd place and £18.75 for my trouble.

Hope wherever you played you smashed it

Til next time have fun and rungood

Mark
    What a bad night.

It started ok managed to scrape a 2-2 draw against @IrishRose in the Ryder Cup after an hour of really close play but that was as good as it got.

23.15 Deepstack. Oh dear not a vintage Edge performance, in fact this was an object lesson in how not to play poker. Step up, step up, chips to be had.

01.00 freezeout. 9th. Should've comfortably made the money (top 5) but had my all in A A called by A K suited. Of course the river brought the 5th club to the villain gg.

02.00 freezeout. Knocked out before the late reg period ended. Hmmm cant moan about anything in this one.

Bank roll is getting depleted a bit now, down to £140, even the dym's aren't really working out. Think maybe I should stick to just one level of buy in and try to get up to 60% win rate.

Also think I need to maybe rework my game as it seems that suddenly its getting more difficult to get chips in the comps I usually play.

Anyway, the games fun and the banters getting better.

Hope wherever you played you smashed it.

Til next time have fun and rungood.

Mark
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,855

@TheEdge949

"...Bank roll is getting depleted a bit now, down to £140, even the dym's aren't really working out. Think maybe I should stick to just one level of buy in and try to get up to 60% win rate.

Also think I need to maybe rework my game as it seems that suddenly its getting more difficult to get chips in the comps I usually play....."

Might be a bit soon to be changing tactics Mark, variance comes & goes, & I don't think you can judge it on a few days disappointing results.

Hang in there.
  • engyengy Member Posts: 723
    I thought you played well in one of the depstacks where I was on your table for a good while mate, can't say the same for myself mind I was spewing off a bit 😀
    Yeah managed a 3rd place for £15.50, which was a great start but then managed to brick everything else for another £20 loss on the night.

Still its all about embracing the old variance and enjoying the ride. Will probably only play 3 tonight, the 23.15 deep and the 2 late freezeouts whilst staying away from the timed and the 2 quid HU SNGs.

Thats the plan

Mark
    Played the three

23.15 deepstack - 2nd £28.15
    01.00 freezeout - 23rd
    02.00 freezeout - 13th

Played my best deepstack for a while with a nice balance of play. Was the comp shortstack for a while when down to 12 players but managed to survive the bubble and went into the money 9/10.

Next target was the FT and when the hand for hand burst got there as 5/6 with only about 10 bb.

Time to get funky as my 16,000 chips were dwarfed by 2 120,000 stacks and a couple of 60,000. Release the beast, straddle the monster of luck and ride the fickle mistress of fate all the way to the HU.

However couldn't get the better of @skymarco as the final hand of 456 saw all ins as possible boats ,straights, quads etc beckoned. Dont actually know what the winner ended up with, all I know is I ended with 2 pr. The best player won, hed been awesome all final table so no complaints from me.

Freezeouts, least said the better. Really going to have to learn to concentrate on more than one game at a time or just single table.

Played terribly, no real structure, entering pots without a plan for the hand, not paying attention to actions in relation to streets, position or board texture.

I know what Im doing wrong now Ive just got to have the discipline to take corrective action.

Hope you smashed it.

Mark
    edited May 2019
    Hi all, well 3 months into the challenge and Im about break even.

Not quite sure what this says about me, Sky Poker or you guys but if you'd offered me this when I started I'd have taken it.

The main thing for me now is to try and work out where my best game lies. I know it isn't cash, no way, absolutely not cash.

The larger entry fields in B/H make the prizepool attractive but again I find that I struggle to adjust my ranges and either play too tight or end up 3/4 way for a bounty.

I love deepstacks but struggle in the mid stages of these. I can usually seem to get a 2.5 x starting stack which is great and if Im in the final 12 Im always going to back myself to get a 1,2,3 finish. its the bit between 30 runners and 12 that I seem to struggle badly with and usually sees me busto.

I also enjoy the freezeouts although the late timing and small fields usually mean only top 3 and sometimes top 5 cash and by the time these are running I can be pretty tired and therefore not playing my A game.

DYMs are my marmite game. Sometimes I love them like when you cash for 4 out of 5, yet other times I hate them like when you lose 4 out of 5. I know that atm I'm at a disadvantage playing these because until I get my new laptop i can only single table as lag issues cause hands to be missed games to freeze etc.

So the question is, where do you think I should be concentrating my efforts ? Should I spend just a month playing only 1 type of game or is it ok to have variety ?

Any advice would be really appreciated folks.

Hope that wherever you played you smashed it .

Mark
    Ok, @clock123 and @misterpj are both right. The rng is rigged and playing the best poker never pays off.

No, in all seriousness the roll took a late beating as having scraped 9th in the 21.15 deepstack for just over a fiver I decided to play the late freezeouts.

The 1 am was standard really as my 10 10 gets rundown by suited clubs K J on a 10 high board for a flush ok gg.

However the 2 am was a comedy as my AIPF shove for 2,600 with J J elicits a call from 9 4 off for villains tournament as he shoves his 2,488 stack in. 5 cards and a rivered straight later hes giving it the big un in the chatbox whilst Im making notes about the all in calling ranges of Culchies.

Im thinking Ive got to start playing the late freezeouts in a super nitty mode assuming that everyone is in a drunken LAG frame of mind.

Whatever, its all fun right.

Til next time have fun rungood and smash it

Mark
  • clock123clock123 Member Posts: 180

Ok, @clock123 and @misterpj are both right. The rng is rigged and playing the best poker never pays off.

No, in all seriousness the roll took a late beating as having scraped 9th in the 21.15 deepstack for just over a fiver I decided to play the late freezeouts.

The 1 am was standard really as my 10 10 gets rundown by suited clubs K J on a 10 high board for a flush ok gg.

However the 2 am was a comedy as my AIPF shove for 2,600 with J J elicits a call from 9 4 off for villains tournament as he shoves his 2,488 stack in. 5 cards and a rivered straight later hes giving it the big un in the chatbox whilst Im making notes about the all in calling ranges of Culchies.

Im thinking Ive got to start playing the late freezeouts in a super nitty mode assuming that everyone is in a drunken LAG frame of mind.

Whatever, its all fun right.

Til next time have fun rungood and smash it

Mark

@TheEdge949 where did i ever state that good poker doesn't pay off?? I've said it does, i've said there are very good players too!!

People have been lazy to jump on a bandwagon and not understand my post!!! Of course group mentality makes them feel safe and important!! Human nature.

I simply said rng software is not what the naked eye would suggest (in more complex detail), never suggested or stated that it's designed to rip people off, it's designed to keep customers, it favors 'certain players' that changes all the time

I've also said colluding goes on, particulary in cash, it seems that part in particular, simple stuff like pot building for others and communicating in other formats (for reasons), seat moving during cash games...nobody wants to address that, hoping it just goes away..

All people want to do is concentrate on my rng statement not even properly understanding my statement, trying to mock saying that players are in charge of the rng and that sky don't pick players etc etc, when if you really read the post you'll understand that the statement was regarding the actual software and players colluding!

Good luck and enjoy the tables
    Hi all,

Finally managed to get back to starting balance thanks to binking the 1am freezeout for £51 and change after a monumental heads up with @Drmcoorm who played some really good heads up poker. I would have had no complaints had he won it.

Not played much over the last several days due mainly to family and church commitments and was out tonight "timewarping" at the "Rocky Horror Show".

Going to try to play the usual 3 tomorrow but it all depends on how Foodbank goes, hopefully we can get away by 9.30 so perhaps late reg the 21.15 deepy then play the 23.15 and the late freezeouts.

Seeing poker in such a different light at the moment after a really bad couple of weeks which saw me down £120 and going back to all my old (bad ) habits. I remembered just in time to enjoy, have fun and embrace the ups and downs.

I hope wherever you played you smashed it.

Until next time have fun and rungood.

Mark
    edited June 2019
    Only played the 2 tourneys the 23.15 deepstack and the 01.00 freezeout.

23.15 deepstack 19th.
    Really got the hump over this game, played really snug working the stack up to 13,000 with blinds at 200 /400 and sitting in a reasonable position tourney wise. Dealt K K otb and after 2 limpers, I put in a min raise. BB reraises, limpers fold and I call and the flop is 5 Q 7 rainbow.
    I bet, he raises and I shove. He tanks and calls with time almost up and shows Q 9 spades. Turn is a 6 river is an 8.
    In the words of "Blackadder" it rhymes with clucking bell. Cant believe he thought I was doing that with worse.
    Oh well onward we go .

01.00 freezeout 5th £14.85.
    Happy with the cash but not about the final table as 5 of us with stacks ranging from 8,000 down to 4500 have to contend with a player sitting on 31,000 complaining hes tired and open shoving every hand. I know that players can play their chips anyway they choose but to really act like the table knob and spoiling everybodys enjoyment of what had been a good comp played in a good spirit was perhaps a tad disrespectful.
    However there will come a time Im sure when I can deliver karma, just not sure I can be such a.............. oh lets say pillock.

Oh well hope wherever you played you smashed it.

Mark.
    edited June 2019
    Just the 2 comps tonight the 23.15 deepstack and the 01.00 freezeout.

23.15 deepstack 22nd

Disappointing really, missed too many opportunities for chips and never got into any kind of position to exert pressure and fell short to a point where 2 all ins and a call seemed to be the spot to shove my last 1600 chips in with 5c 6c and hope. GG.

01.00 freezeout 4th £18.15

Always enjoy a cash and to be fair this was a really good tourney. Played it ok and actually enjoyed the banter and the game. All 6 at the FT got paid which was nice as we didnt have that dynamic thats usually there when only 5 get paid.

Bust out hand was my straight smashed by the boat GG

Short n sweet tonight.

Have fun, rungood and smash it

Mark