You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

THREAD CLOSED

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,286
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!!:
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : TIKAY. I HAD NEVER READ NOR POSTED ANYTHING ON THIS FORUM BEFORE TODAY AND SINCE WRITING MY MESSAGE I HAVE READ DOZENS OF RESPONSES TO WHAT FALLEN AND MYSELF FEEL FRUSTRATED ABOUT. I FEEL A LOT BETTER ABOUT IT ALL AND HAVE PICKED UP SOME GREAT ADVICE AND FEEL THAT I CAN COMBAT THE TYPE OF PLAY THAT I HAVE BEEN MOANING ABOUT AND A FEW WAYS TO IMPROVE MY OWN GAME. I DO NOT THINK THAT SKY DELIBERATELY SHOULD OR DOES SABBOTAGE MY OR ANY OTHER HANDS AND APOLOGISE TOTALLY FOR BLAMING SKY OR ANY OFFENCE CAUSED TO SKY STAFF.   I JUST SEEMS THAT SOMETIMES THE SELECTION OF CARDS BY THE COMPUTER SOFTWARE (PARTICULARLY RIVER ONES) SEEM TO FAVOUR A HAND THAT PERHAPS SHOULD HAVE A STATISTICALLY WORSE CHANCE OF WINNING AND A LOT OF PEOPLE MOAN ABOUT IT. I THINK THAT THE PROBABILITY (NOT 100%) SHOULD LEAN TOWARDS VERY GOOD HOLE CARDS WINNING AND IT DOESNT SEEM TO BE THE CASE. ITS JUST HOW I FEEL RATHER THAN THAT IS AN ABSOLUTE FACT. I LOVE TO PLAY POKER AND REALLY FEEL THAT I HAVE IMPROVED. I WAS POSTING MY MESSAGE ON TILT LOL BECAUSE OF THE UNBELIEVABLY SAVAGE HANDS AND CALLS THAT I HAVE HAD LATELY. SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE WRITTEN WHILST PLAYING CASH GAMES THAT THEY BLAME SKY AND THEY ARE LEAVING FOR ANOTHER SITE WHICH MADE ME THINK THAT ITS ALL SKYS FAULT. I FOOLISHLY JUMPED ON THIS BANDWAGON AND NOW DONT BELIEVE IT AND WILL NOT LEAVE SKY. I WILL CHOOSE MY WORDS MORE WISELY IN FUTURE AND WILL CHAT RATHER THAN RANT. 
    Posted by AIRWALKER

Thank you Mr Air.

Poker is a beautiful but brutal game. Live Poker is played for huge stakes, £1,000 buy-ins are commonplace, but the same inexplicable calls & sick outdraws occur. I was at the Baden EPT one year - €5,000 buy-in, 20,000 starting stack, 90 minute clock, 5 day event. Two guys got it all-in first hand. A-A v K-K? Nope. A-Q v 5-5. Go figure!

It's easy to look to place the blame elsewhere when we take a beat, but ultimately, we choose to play a game where outdraws are common but not unexpected. 4/1 shots are not THAT rare in life, or in poker, & A-A has no right to win.

I'm delighted you have decided to look afresh at the game, & I wish you many happy years playing poker, be it here, or elsewhere. Preferably here, of course!

Traffic at Sky Poker this last month has broken all records, so you can safely ignore the nonsense that players are leaving Sky Poker. They are not. When players Post "we are leaving", they are usually on the site the next day. This Forum proves that! Together, we can go places.

Take care now, & thank you again for your brave Post.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : regulators lol,i continue to play because i love the game in its natural state and unlike horse racing(where we have no say in the pre determined result) in poker you can still do well if you are aware of the "scenarios" that develop and play accordingly. and lets not forget that the "worlds biggest online site" is owned by a wanted criminal for financial crimes  just for the record.
    Posted by LONGPLAY
    Incorrect.
  • Options
    zxghostxzzxghostxz Member Posts: 482
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : Incorrect.
    Posted by Tikay10
    tikay...........do you ever sleep?........
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : tikay...........do you ever sleep?........
    Posted by zxghostxz
    Lol - there's not enough hours in the day!

I've just driven up from London, & the roads were well hairy, so my adrenelin is racing a bit.

Have you ever noticed that we are often not tired when we go to bed, but when we wake up the next day, we are wrecked? How weird is that?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : Lol - there's not enough hours in the day! I've just driven up from London, & the roads were well hairy, so my adrenelin is racing a bit. Have you ever noticed that we are often not tired when we go to bed, but when we wake up the next day, we are wrecked? How weird is that?
    Posted by Tikay10
     true tikey.... maby the years are creepin up on us............ well maby you a bit more than me....lol ......but i no wat you mean mate.............
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! :  true tikey.... maby the years are creepin up on us............ well maby you a bit more than me....lol ......but i no wat you mean mate.............
    Posted by zxghostxz
    Never! I refuse to be old.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : Never! I refuse to be old.
    Posted by Tikay10
    lol nice one.......let the mind be stronger than the body............
  • Options
    kelly1988kelly1988 Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2010
    whats the problem with everybody?ur all talking about this being a skill? its luck with ability to lie and see when people are lieing. who gives a rats backside if you go all in on pocket bullets? if i think ur bluffing and my cards arent that bad im guna call you! if you dont like it unlucky its people moaning that takes the fun out of this GAME!
  • Options
    KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited January 2010
    whats the problem with everybody?ur all talking about this being a skill? its luck with ability to lie and see when people are lieing. who gives a rats backside if you go all in on pocket bullets? if i think ur bluffing and my cards arent that bad im guna call you! if you dont like it unlucky its people moaning that takes the fun out of this GAME!
    Posted by kelly1988
    Great post Kelly, if people can't take a bad beat they should find another game to play.
  • Options
    Kiwini4uKiwini4u Member Posts: 3,830
    edited January 2010
    Posted by kelly1988
    Excellent first post, welcome to the forum
  • Options
    kelly1988kelly1988 Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : Excellent first post, welcome to the forum
    Posted by Kiwini4u
    thankyou
  • Options
    AIRWALKERAIRWALKER Member Posts: 680
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : Thank you Mr Air. Poker is a beautiful but brutal game. Live Poker is played for huge stakes, £1,000 buy-ins are commonplace, but the same inexplicable calls & sick outdraws occur. I was at the Baden EPT one year - €5,000 buy-in, 20,000 starting stack, 90 minute clock, 5 day event. Two guys got it all-in first hand. A-A v K-K? Nope. A-Q v 5-5. Go figure! It's easy to look to place the blame elsewhere when we take a beat, but ultimately, we choose to play a game where outdraws are common but not unexpected. 4/1 shots are not THAT rare in life, or in poker, & A-A has no right to win. I'm delighted you have decided to look afresh at the game, & I wish you many happy years playing poker, be it here, or elsewhere. Preferably here, of course! Traffic at Sky Poker this last month has broken all records, so you can safely ignore the nonsense that players are leaving Sky Poker. They are not. When players Post "we are leaving", they are usually on the site the next day. This Forum proves that! Together, we can go places. Take care now, & thank you again for your brave Post.
    Posted by Tikay10

CHEERS TIKAY. I HAVE LEARNED TO SNIFF OUT THESE SO CALLED DONKS AND HIT EM HARD WHEN I KNOW THAT I HAVE A WINNING HAND AND JUST PERHAPS IGNORE THEIR SILLY BLIND RASES. AFTER ALL, AT LEAST THEY WONT PLAY TIGHT AND GIVEN GOOD TIMING YOU CAN SUCK THEM OUT. ALSO A GOOD IDEA BY SOMEONE THAT SOMETIMES CALL ALL INS AT BEGINNING OF CHEAP TOURNAMENTS TO GET YOURSELF ON THE FINAL TABLE WITHOUT TOO MUCH GRAFT AS OPPOSED TO PLAYING A STEADY GAME ONLY TO FINISH 14TH OR SO AFTER 3 HOURS OF METHODICAL POKER. MIGHT TRY THAT ONE. WISH I COULD AFFORD THOUSAND DOLLAR + TOURNYS BUT WILL ALWAYS PLAY FOR PLEASURE NO MATTER WHAT THE STAKES.

THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN FOR YOUR RESPONSE AND SKIN U ONE DAY LOL !.

• Options
    edited January 2010
    what makes it worse is that the commentators on tv keep harping on about how there is such a good, strong, community of players, so dummies keep playing stupid hands and getting lucky. if only they would show all of the numpty hands on tv and berate the donks then maybe the standard of play would be different cos we could take the p i s s out of the donks.
    Posted by steve628
    That'll be me I guess.

I'm pleased to say I've never called a player a "donk" in my life, & it's not in my nature to mock anyone, no matter what their skill level is or is not.

It might be wise if you were to be a little more circumspect, too.
  • Options
    phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited January 2010
    When I first started there was Poker Night Live on TV which spoke about regular peoples play and there was the American TV shows. I used to overvalue hands which I would now ditch quickly eg AQ after raise and reraise i would call when i started and would win to start with and then just as quickly go busto!!

Sky is great for informing and helping. What hasnt helped is the Bounty Hunter tournies as these naturally promote more gambling. Lots of players on Sky are new to poker and their introduction is through games like Bounty Hunter.  They gamble, they hit and continue (with a bit of profit from busting someone) or they bust and go to another game.

Unfortunately, these plays and calls will frustrate more regular / competent players who more often than not have got their money in ahead. Intricate plays are not understood and bad beats will happen.  Deepstack tactics are invalid against them.

We have to keep putting the money in ahead, keep playing within our bankrolls so we're not going broke ourselves and not educate them too much cos at the end of the day we're gonna be on the right side after the river card more often than they are as long as they keep playing for them miracle cards we will cash in the long run.
  • Options
    LONGPLAYLONGPLAY Member Posts: 232
    edited January 2010
    norman chad(legend) would cut his throat if he had to analyse a lot of the mtt play on sky,and he wouldn't mince words too,why do sky analysts feel they have to be all coochee woochee and "protect" such players.....it does the site no favours to let donkeys believe they are thoroughbreds.
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited January 2010
    norman chad(legend) would cut his throat if he had to analyse a lot of the mtt play on sky,and he wouldn't mince words too,why do sky analysts feel they have to be all coochee woochee and "protect" such players.....it does the site no favours to let donkeys believe they are thoroughbreds.
    Posted by LONGPLAY
    Norman Chad is well known for his humourous commentary on WSOP (and other) events.
    I don't think that he would claim to be a great "analyst". His commentary on the WSOP this year was mainly themed around not playing "any" ace if I remember correctly. He is a very funny man and I enjoy his commentary.

SKyPoker has educated a host of people new to poker through the TV channel, videos on this site, boot camps etc.

It does no-one any credit to gratuitously insult players and far too many people seem to think that it is acceptable.
    Players each pay the same to enter a tournament and they are entitled to play their cards how they want. The TV analyst may advise them how to play but it is certainly not their job to criticise them.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,698
    edited January 2010
    Posted by LONGPLAY
    i say let them think they,re thoroughbreds keeps me happy
  • Options
    LONGPLAYLONGPLAY Member Posts: 232
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : i say let them think they,re thoroughbreds keeps me happy
    Posted by stokefc
    lol,4 sure mate.....but really though,do sky honestly think that people will leave a site because their play is "constructively" critisized, if i was a new player i would want to be told the harsh truth if my play was pony.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I have nothing but admiration for Norman Chad, & I was thrilled to meet him & chat with him in Vegas last year. He is my idol, in TV Commentary terms, a very funny & clever guy.

However, we are comparing chalk with cheese here. The comments he makes are not aimed at Clients of his Show. Ours are.

And if Sky Pokeer instructed me to be rude to our Players, I'd leave on the spot. It's not my thing.

We DO correct mistakes, & point out bad plays, every single Show.
    I do it all the time, & I ask the Players to write to me, or Post on the Forum, if they disagree with my constructive criticisms.

I get - literally - scores of PM's & e-Mails thanking me for handling these matters constructively & politely. (And I reply to every single one).

Calling people "donks", "fish", muppets" & such like is never going to happen here. That does not mean we do not deal with the weaknesses in their plays. Nobody ever taught me a thing by insulting me. They taught me by explaining patiently & politely where I was going wrong.

It's easy to insult - anyone can do it. My cat could. It's less easy to be constructive.

There is never a need, or a benefit, for bad manners.

• Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited January 2010
    When I first started there was Poker Night Live on TV which spoke about regular peoples play and there was the American TV shows. I used to overvalue hands which I would now ditch quickly eg AQ after raise and reraise i would call when i started and would win to start with and then just as quickly go busto!! Sky is great for informing and helping. What hasnt helped is the Bounty Hunter tournies as these naturally promote more gambling. Lots of players on Sky are new to poker and their introduction is through games like Bounty Hunter.  They gamble, they hit and continue (with a bit of profit from busting someone) or they bust and go to another game. Unfortunately, these plays and calls will frustrate more regular / competent players who more often than not have got their money in ahead. Intricate plays are not understood and bad beats will happen.  Deepstack tactics are invalid against them. We have to keep putting the money in ahead, keep playing within our bankrolls so we're not going broke ourselves and not educate them too much cos at the end of the day we're gonna be on the right side after the river card more often than they are as long as they keep playing for them miracle cards we will cash in the long run.
    Posted by phil12uk
    Now that really is a 1st class post from a 1st class player.Great read.dav