You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

THREAD CLOSED

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,286
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!!:
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : lol,4 sure mate.....but really though,do sky honestly think that people will leave a site because their play is "constructively" critisized, if i was a new player i would want to be told the harsh truth if my play was pony.
    Posted by LONGPLAY
    Watch ANY Show, & see if we do that. We do. We assume they have the ability to understand that, too.
  • Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : Watch ANY Show, & see if we do that. We do. We assume they have the ability to understand that, too.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Agreed! The analysts ALWAYS constructively criticise the play on the show. In fact, for the first 30 minutes of David Tuckman's TP show he did nothing but (constructively) criticise the play of his shortlisted players!!!!!
  • Options
    kelly1988kelly1988 Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : Watch ANY Show, & see if we do that. We do. We assume they have the ability to understand that, too.
    Posted by Tikay10
    its easy to talk about cricism but people react and improve via differant methods. i love tese comments because alot of people sound like they were neva begginers. i also like how ppl tend to go more with picture cards when there are only 16 in deck the rest are numbers so which are u more likely to hit. maybe the way people play is changing. i certainly take a few risks and my money is up since since starting!
  • Options
    LONGPLAYLONGPLAY Member Posts: 232
    edited January 2010
    I have nothing but admiration for Norman Chad, & I was thrilled to meet him & chat with him in Vegas last year. He is my idol, in TV Commentary terms, a very funny & clever guy. However, we are comparing chalk with cheese here. The comments he makes are not aimed at Clients of his Show. Ours are. And if Sky Pokeer instructed me to be rude to our Players, I'd leave on the spot. It's not my thing. We DO correct mistakes, & point out bad plays, every single Show. I do it all the time, & I ask the Players to write to me, or Post on the Forum, if they disagree with my constructive criticisms. I get - literally - scores of PM's & e-Mails thanking me for handling these matters constructively & politely. (And I reply to every single one). Calling people "donks", "fish", muppets" & such like is never going to happen here. That does not mean we do not deal with the weaknesses in their plays. Nobody ever taught me a thing by insulting me. They taught me by explaining patiently & politely where I was going wrong. It's easy to insult - anyone can do it. My cat could. It's less easy to be constructive. There is never a need, or a benefit, for bad manners.
    Posted by Tikay10
    the comments he makes are aimed at "poker players" which surely everyone is striving to be,regardless of which site they play on....and there is a world of difference between critisizing and insulting.i have found that only ed giddins comes close to "telling it how it should be told"
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : the comments he makes are aimed at "poker players" which surely everyone is striving to be,regardless of which site they play on....and there is a world of difference between critisizing and insulting.i have found that only ed giddins comes close to "telling it how it should be told"
    Posted by LONGPLAY
    There is also a world of difference beteeen constructive criticism, & calling players, to use your word, "donkeys". It's never going to happen.

In addition, Mr Chad's commentary is NOT designed to be educational. Ours is, that's our remit, & our brief. Educational, not abusive.
  • Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : the comments he makes are aimed at "poker players" which surely everyone is striving to be,regardless of which site they play on....and there is a world of difference between critisizing and insulting.i have found that only ed giddins comes close to "telling it how it should be told"
    Posted by LONGPLAY
    You don't think James Hartigan tells it "how it is"? You must watch a different channel!
  • Options
    AIRWALKERAIRWALKER Member Posts: 680
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : after reading this,   i hope you do post more on here , heres 1 big fan of yours , for been so honest, over and out roborover .
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH IRISH ROVER.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : There is also a world of difference beteeen constructive criticism, & calling players, to use your word, "donkeys". It's never going to happen. In addition, Mr Chad's commentary is NOT designed to be educational. Ours is, that's our remit, & our brief. Educational, not abusive.
    Posted by Tikay10
    struggling to see where i said that an analyst should "actually call" a player a donkey,my point was clearly />>if an analyst fails to highlight "donkey" plays- then said donkey will never improve because he will think his play was ok.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : struggling to see where i said that an analyst should "actually call" a player a donkey,my point was clearly /> />if an analyst fails to highlight "donkey" plays- then said donkey will never improve because he will think his play was ok.
    Posted by LONGPLAY

All the analysts highlight technically poor play. Perhaps we are a little too subtle for some. We are not training Soldiers to go fight a war, we are educating & enteretaining players about a game.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : You don't think James Hartigan tells it "how it is"? You must watch a different channel!
    Posted by Seagull158
    yeah  james is really aggressive with his analysing but i dont think hes really qualified enough to do that,whereas tikay has forgotten more than the rest of us will ever know and it would be perfect if he analysed with the same aggression as james..and leave james to the presenting :)
  • Options
    VIRUSXXXVIRUSXXX Member Posts: 27
    edited January 2010
    Posted by LONGPLAY

To be honest i don't see how Tikay can answer you anymore comprehensively and yet you keep going.

You admit to being completely paranoid about online poker sites.
    You choose to play at Sky Poker.
    You consistently tell Sky Poker how crooked they are - (whilst still playing?)
    Sky Poker respond to your posts in detail - even though some of your questions should really be in area 51.

And then you criticise how they treat the customers - by being "too cooey wooey"

Would you prefer a harsher response to your questions because the professionals think they're a bit donkeyish?
     I doubt it. And perhaps you should watch more - because you obviously haven't seen Hartigan, Tuckman, Giddins or Kendall lately - otherwise you'd realise your comments were outdated.

Obviously this is just my constructive criticism of you latest posts....
    But it doesn't seem very helpful when phrased like this - does it?

I guess i'm happy to be treated with respect and offered guidance rather than have it shoved down my throat. Each to their own i suppose....

Edit: and i think if Hartigan is qualified to discuss pros hands with Negreanu he can probably cope with our play....
  • Options
    Sky_LingSky_Ling Member Posts: 317
    edited January 2010
    Hi Longplay,

Thank you for your posts, we are of course always eager to receive feedback from players.

It is, and always has been our goal to educate and entertain in a non threatening manner. As a rule we seek to do this pleasantly because there is no benefit to either party, the player or the business, to do it any other way.

As players skill on the site has improved, the analysis has increased in specificity and the degree of theory behind the comments.
     Obviously our team try to tailor their on the spot "live advice" to the individual under the pressure of the studio lights and having me "in their ear." However, they do have to be aware that new players also join on a daily basis and they should be encouraged to try out new skills - which may or may not work out - and they should never feel "ridiculed" as a result.

Our goal is to offer up alternatives, but never to dictate.... After all it would be fantastically boring if we all played the same ABC poker.

kind regards

Aisling
  • Options
    KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : To be honest i don't see how Tikay can answer you anymore comprehensively and yet you keep going. You admit to being completely paranoid about online poker sites. You choose to play at Sky Poker. You consistently tell Sky Poker how crooked they are - (whilst still playing?) Sky Poker respond to your posts in detail - even though some of your questions should really be in area 51. And then you criticise how they treat the customers - by being "too cooey wooey" Would you prefer a harsher response to your questions because the professionals think they're a bit donkeyish?  I doubt it. And perhaps you should watch more - because you obviously haven't seen Hartigan, Tuckman, Giddins or Kendall lately - otherwise you'd realise your comments were outdated. Obviously this is just my constructive criticism of you latest posts.... But it doesn't seem very helpful when phrased like this - does it? I guess i'm happy to be treated with respect and offered guidance rather than have it shoved down my throat. Each to their own i suppose.... Edit: and i think if Hartigan is qualified to discuss pros hands with Negreanu he can probably cope with our play....
    Posted by VIRUSXXX
    Well said Virus. Wish I had your way with words.

I remember how it was when the channel started, the quality of the advice now is light years ahead of the early days. Ed with his odds, James with his aggression, Trevor with his more cash oriented thinking and Mr Kendall and Mr Orford with their brilliant comedy double act. Add in Sara and Lisa-Marie, good enough for me.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot about Mark Banin. Probably the most original thinker of the lot.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [QUOTE]what makes it worse is that the commentators on tv keep harping on about how there is such a good, strong, community of players, so dummies keep playing stupid hands and getting lucky. if only they would show all of the numpty hands on tv and berate the donks then maybe the standard of play would be different cos we could take the p i s s out of the donks.
    Posted by steve628

This was followed up by a Public message from Steve which said.....

"....why cant you guys on the show, show some stupid hands where guys should never be in the pot, and give them some stick? i know you cant abuse them, but make a fair but harsh point of the donkey calls and [plays alot of players make and show them instead of the outdraws and redraws that we usually see on the show....."

I think we've covered this ground already. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : To be honest i don't see how Tikay can answer you anymore comprehensively and yet you keep going. You admit to being completely paranoid about online poker sites. You choose to play at Sky Poker. You consistently tell Sky Poker how crooked they are - (whilst still playing?) Sky Poker respond to your posts in detail - even though some of your questions should really be in area 51. And then you criticise how they treat the customers - by being "too cooey wooey" Would you prefer a harsher response to your questions because the professionals think they're a bit donkeyish?  I doubt it. And perhaps you should watch more - because you obviously haven't seen Hartigan, Tuckman, Giddins or Kendall lately - otherwise you'd realise your comments were outdated. Obviously this is just my constructive criticism of you latest posts.... But it doesn't seem very helpful when phrased like this - does it? I guess i'm happy to be treated with respect and offered guidance rather than have it shoved down my throat. Each to their own i suppose.... Edit: and i think if Hartigan is qualified to discuss pros hands with Negreanu he can probably cope with our play....
    Posted by VIRUSXXX

paranoia shmaranoi...i remembered thinking all those tv phone in quizzes were dodgy too(uh oh)

i play on here occasionally until the download arrives.

has negreanu figured out why he was there yet.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hi Longplay, Thank you for your posts, we are of course always eager to receive feedback from players. It is, and always has been our goal to educate and entertain in a non threatening manner. As a rule we seek to do this pleasantly because there is no benefit to either party, the player or the business, to do it any other way. As players skill on the site has improved, the analysis as increased in specificity and the degree of theory behind the comments.  Obviously our team try to tailor their on the spot "live advice" to the individual under the pressure of the studio lights and having me "in their ear." However, they do have to be aware that new players also join on a daily basis and they should be encouraged to try out new skills - which may or may not work out - and they should never feel "ridiculed" as a result. Our goal is to offer up alternatives, but never to dictate.... After all it would be fantastically boring if we all played the same ABC poker. kind regards Aisling
    Posted by Sky_Ling
    nice post,thank you.
  • Options
    JingleMaJingleMa Member Posts: 1,319
    edited January 2010
    Posted by VIRUSXXX
    Excellent Post. Longplay has a long history in area 51, and it is hard to reason with people like him so the best thing is to let him spout his stuff and carry on. To be completely fair, every forum does need people like him too, otherwise things can get quite dull. So viva la difference!
  • Options
    QuietmanQuietman Member Posts: 286
    edited January 2010
    i haven't read thru every post on this thread, so, if some one has already said this then i am very sorry for repeating it.................... most bad beats stem from very bad play in the first place...5% bad beat...95% bad play initially.
    get over it
  • Options
    xFALLENxxFALLENx Member Posts: 826
    edited January 2010
    i haven't read thru every post on this thread, so, if some one has already said this then i am very sorry for repeating it.................... most bad beats stem from very bad play in the first place...5% bad beat...95% bad play initially. get over it
    Posted by Quietman
    THINK UR LIVING IN A DREAMWORLD

GET OVER IT!!!!!
  • Options
    charlyb8charlyb8 Member Posts: 66
    edited January 2010

Tikay

Tell me m8,what do i have to do to win a hand when no matter what u try you still get called and they always win on the river,now dont tell me thats bad luck all the time because it happens to often,and me in the last 9 games out of ten,i feel im just waisting my time and getting very frustrating.,I normally get through the first 2 1/2 hrs no prob,then u come up against a twit who calls everything and wins,i just get to the point where i cant be bothered because i know whats going to happen.They must have friends in high places,wish i did,,,,,and please dont say to me,you wish you could come up against more like him,so do i,but in the meantime your out the game and im talking about the last table when youve worked so hard to get there.How do some of them have so much luck.