You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

THREAD CLOSED

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,226
    edited December 2009

Debdobs is right. I dont know how often these beats happen - though I would not call them "strange". They are not strange at all, that's the point everyone needs to take on board. They are a cocktail of maths & variance, doing their thing.

The 8-2 man might, in fact, win v J-J 3 times running. That's called variance. For J-J man, that is "-Ve". (-Ve = Negative Variance).

And then, lose with 8-2 v J-J 30 times on the bounce. For J-J man, that's called +Ve. (Positive Variance).

However, variance is impotent, because it's owned by Maths. And over time, Maths always rules. Over time, there are NO exceptions.

I'm sorry xFALLENx thinks it was a personal attack. It was not - I don't do personal attacks, as anyone & everyone knows. But I do spend a lot of my own time - as here - to try to explain to poker players how the game works.

But if anyone cannot grasp how maths & variance collude to make poker such a wonderful game, they are in denial of the facts. And it's my job to try to explain these things.

And if poker becomes something that hurts, that is painful, where a defeat or a run of losses causes anyone to become really upset or hurt, my advice is always the same. They either need to understand how poker works, or play something different.

Poker is a game at our level. And why play games we don't enjoy? 
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!!:
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : 1 in 10 was just for the example Tikay used (jj v 82), everything he said is essentially true. If you go all-in with a-k and get called by 8-2 and then get beat with a 3 on the river, it looks horrendous so you will remeber it as a "strange" bad beat. However, 8-2 will win 32% of the time! But because it looks like such a terrible call, many people will cry that they got sucked out by a 7% chance on the river, conveniently forgetting that they were likely to lose 1 in 3 times pre-flop. This is why mentally accepting (and appreciating) bad beats, bad luck and bad players is crucial to progressing in poker. Tikay was not attacking Fallen, only trying to help her, I hope she can look at his post again in a different light and learn the essential truths within it.
    Posted by JingleMa
    +1
  • xFALLENxxFALLENx Member Posts: 826
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : I think you are missing the point. Tikay has not made a personal attack he merely replied to my viewpoint & made a generalisation that in poker there is an element of luck which has to be understood & respected, & made a generalisation that in this game it pays to take the rough with the smooth! Im not quite sure wat ur argument is? U seem to hav suffered some unfortunate bad 'luck' against some players calling with bad cards & getting lucky! Just bcoz the odds are 'generally' 1 in 10 in ur favour with good cards doesnt mean u cant lose to badbeats in succession & have a bad run it just means uv been terribly unlucky! Stick with it & I have no doubt u will see ur luck pick up & good play pay off! ;)
    Posted by Risky-Earl

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG WHAT IVE BEEN TRYING 2 SAY ITS ALL BEEN ROUGH......SMOOTH DOESNT EVEN COME IN2 IT.....BUT IVE CHANGED GAMES (TY DEBDOBS 4 UR SUGGESTION) AND MOVED 2 HIGHER PRICED TABLES....U STILL GET THE ODD CHANCER (READS PODS POST) BUT IT NOWHERE AS BAD...

• MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited December 2009
    Terrific posts by Risky-Earl, Tikay and (particularly) JingleMa.
  • Risky-EarlRisky-Earl Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2009

Heres an example of luck for u all- I entered a sitngo double your money the other day & to my shock I had 4 hole cards & realised I'd entered an Omaha which I had never played before in my life or even knew the rules! I googled the rules & proceeded to double my money & take 1st place to win. Later that day I entered £200 guaranteed Omaha tourney with 30 entrants as Id enjoyed variance of the earlier sitngo, I took 1st place & £80. Now having never played it before against people who had ud think there would have to be a fair element of luck on my side wouldnt u say?! Sorry if iv slightly gone off track from the original thread.

edited December 2009
    Thanks Lord Earl, nice first Post, too. When we move in with J-J & get called by 8-2, the 8-2 wins sometimes. Not often, but now & then. We don't complain - in fact, we permit ourselves a little smug smile - when 8-2 numpty makes his ridiculous Call & loses. In fact, over time - & this is not disputable - 8-2 man loses this coup almost nine times in 10. And we smile smugly nine times in 10. So, all things consdidered, it behoves us to lose with dignity, & show a little mental fortitude, when, on the 10th occasion, our numpty friend gets his token win. And we NEED him to win now & then - he's our seedcorn. He's the soft touch at the Table who enables us average players to do OK. The thread began with the comment "I'm fed up with these bad players....I moved onto this Site to get away from them". Well you cannot get away from them - they are everywhere, Live & Online. Thank goodness. We can't have our cake & eat it. We're happy to take their money 9 times in 10. So we ought to be a little more gracious in defeat 1 time in 10. That's the thing with poker. It shows who can face up to the wind & rain in their face, when the going gets tough.
    Posted by Tikay10
    TRY THEY TAKE MY MONEY 9 TIMES IN 10 INSTEAD

and no its not a personnal attack on me....sure
    edited December 2009
    Posted by MereNovice
    Thanks MERENOVICE I'm new to the forums & community & have been pleasantly suprised to speak to decent likeminded people. I shall definately be a regualr ;)
  • tierceltiercel Member Posts: 325
    edited December 2009
    Yes there are players who play badly/strangely but so what ? Its their choice and it adds to the challenge. If everyone played the same way, if nobody gambled the game would be predictable and boring. Its supposed to be exciting and fun !!
    I play against these players ( in MTT's ) regularly - sometimes I play like them. The last thing I want is to be predictable. It can be frustrating. Often as not I find myself in stitches laughing. But then I don't play, or expect, to make a profit. Lighten up is my response to you. There is no right way to play and even the experts get it wrong. 
    As it happens, my account has doubled since  the start of the year so you can beat them if you think it out.

STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!!:
    AM TOTALLY FED UP. FOR THE LAST FEW WEEKS ALL I HAVE BEEN DOING IN DEFENDING SKY AND IDIOT PLAYERS. BUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH FOR WEEKS NOW ALL IVE COME ACROSS IS TOTAL CHANCERS/MUPPETS/IDIOTS AND WHAT MAKES IT WORSE THEY SEEM 2 WIN 9/10. I MOVED ON2 THIS SITE TO GET AWAY FROM THEM BUT THEY SEEM 2 B COMING OUT OF THE WOODWORK.EVERY SINGLE TABLE IVE BEEN ON THEY R THERE HAVE LOST LOADS OF FRIENDS ON HERE 4 THIS VERY REASON. THERES NO LONGER SKILL NEEDED 2 WIN, JUST CHANCE! 4GET BEING A GOOD SOLID PLAYER, JUST CHANCE IT UR MORE LIKELY 2 WIN!!
    Posted by xFALLENx
  • POKERTREVPOKERTREV Member Posts: 9,607
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! : TRY THEY TAKE MY MONEY 9 TIMES IN 10 INSTEAD   and no its not a personnal attack on me....sure
    Posted by xFALLENx
    Can we all Pleeeeease have a group hug for xfallenx (Lisa) we have all been down this road, bad beats and thinking things will never get better but a little possitive support goes a long way.

+ 1 Hugs
    edited December 2009
    Yes there are players who play badly/strangely but so what ? Its their choice and it adds to the challenge. If everyone played the same way, if nobody gambled the game would be predictable and boring. Its supposed to be exciting and fun !! I play against these players ( in MTT's ) regularly - sometimes I play like them. The last thing I want is to be predictable. It can be frustrating. Often as not I find myself in stitches laughing. But then I don't play, or expect, to make a profit. Lighten up is my response to you. There is no right way to play and even the experts get it wrong.  As it happens, my account has doubled since  the start of the year so you can beat them if you think it out.   STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! :
    Posted by tiercel
    Agreed. You have to appreciate that there are a huge variety of players with varying degrees of abilty, styles of play, experience & personal goals & motives for playing. This is what makes it the game it is & I personally enjoy it the way it is. A poker world where everyone plays premium cards/hands with the same strategy & style of play is imo a boring less challenging game & I imagine ud hardly ever even get to the point of seeing the river card.
  • JingleMaJingleMa Member Posts: 1,319
    edited December 2009
    Posted by MereNovice
    Thanks Mere, cheque is in the post. 8- />

And welcome aboard Risky, very good point about the solid player who might play loose on friday nights after a couple of beers for a change. Look forward to more of your posts.
  • LMLLML Member Posts: 1,708
    edited December 2009
    Heres an example of luck for u all- I entered a sitngo double your money the other day & to my shock I had 4 hole cards & realised I'd entered an Omaha which I had never played before in my life or even knew the rules! I googled the rules & proceeded to double my money & take 1st place to win. Later that day I entered £200 guaranteed Omaha tourney with 30 entrants as Id enjoyed variance of the earlier sitngo, I took 1st place & £80. Now having never played it before against people who had ud think there would have to be a fair element of luck on my side wouldnt u say?! Sorry if iv slightly gone off track from the original thread.
    Posted by Risky-Earl

Wow Mr Earl VWD!! That's great news and a great induction into OMaha!

Glad you're enjoying our little community here. It's a very great pleasure to welcome you into it.

xLM
  • DiggerManDiggerMan Member Posts: 1,027
    edited December 2009
    Hi xfallenx
    Can I suggest that you get a nice warm blanket, a large amount of your favourite tipple, those chocolates that you swore you'd never eat again but you still got as a xmas present, find something good to watch on TV (hard, I know, but there must be something on) and just get away from this thread for a bit! What they don't seem to be able to get their heads around is that you don't care about the odds, the variance, all the various statistics and whether it'll be alright and "you'll come good in the end"! What you care about is that its been going on for weeks and you're fed up with it! I'm with pokertrev, Lisa-Marie and Debs, HUGS HUGS and MORE HUGS!!! ;)
  • elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited December 2009
    I understand how Fallen is feeling, but I (think) I also understand the arguments of all those who are trying to help her to understand how these things work against us sometimes. There are logical arguments to be made for any occurrence in a given poker hand. Fallen's problem is not that it can and does happen, but that it appears to be happening all the time. Getting rivered and losing out to a lesser hand is to be expected and it has been pointed out most eloquently by more than one answer to her thread. I have had a shocking run lately (two months actually) on Sky and it does get to you eventually, and it has obviously ''got'' to Fallen.

Let's take my case in point. I have recently been playing some Omaha tournaments on another site and have had top twenty finishes on 3 occasions in 400+ fields. Meanwhile I have played a number of minor Omaha tournaments (DYM's) on Sky and won exactly nothing. How can this be? Well it's not because the players on Sky are better. I don't think I play differently on Sky (maybe I should), and I haven't had the mythical doom button pressed by Sky. What's the answer? The answer is I don't know, and what would be easy is to start to anylise it too deeply and come up with all sorts of reasons.

The problem when this sort of thing happens is a tendency to be on the look-out for reasons and that is where I think Fallen is now. Selective memory comes into play and we are waiting in anticipation of the next ''occurrence.'' These anticipated outcomes are then stored in our memory to the exception of all other outcomes and we build a catalogue of times when we were beaten. After a while we start to believe that we are losing out every time because that's what our (selective) memory is telling us. No amount of reasoning by others can shake our belief that this is happening to us because we have a stored history to remind us. We then alter how we play based on our expected outcome and our game deteriorates to cause even more problems. After a while it seems that everything is conspiring against us and area51 beckons. Don't be hard on someone going through this as you could be next.

I know of lots of very good players who have ended up in this vicious circle and it's hard to escape it. Understanding what is happening is a first step to beating it. Stopping playing for a period is good as you can often come back with a fresh outlook and a positive approach. My way is to play somewhere else and see if it is an improvement and come back when the ''gods'' are with you, if not I stop for a while. Never burn your bridges by saying you will leave permanently or that the site has it in for you. This will only alienate you from the other players sympathy. Take a break.

Those who think it will never happen to them are brave souls. I hope it never does, but....... it might.
    edited December 2009
    I understand how Fallen is feeling, but I (think) I also understand the arguments of all those who are trying to help her to understand how these things work against us sometimes. There are logical arguments to be made for any occurrence in a given poker hand. Fallen's problem is not that it can and does happen, but that it appears to be happening all the time. Getting rivered and losing out to a lesser hand is to be expected and it has been pointed out most eloquently by more than one answer to her thread. I have had a shocking run lately (two months actually) on Sky and it does get to you eventually, and it has obviously ''got'' to Fallen. Let's take my case in point. I have recently been playing some Omaha tournaments on another site and have had top twenty finishes on 3 occasions in 400+ fields. Meanwhile I have played a number of minor Omaha tournaments (DYM's) on Sky and won exactly nothing. How can this be? Well it's not because the players on Sky are better. I don't think I play differently on Sky (maybe I should), and I haven't had the mythical doom button pressed by Sky. What's the answer? The answer is I don't know, and what would be easy is to start to anylise it too deeply and come up with all sorts of reasons. The problem when this sort of thing happens is a tendency to be on the look-out for reasons and that is where I think Fallen is now. Selective memory comes into play and we are waiting in anticipation of the next ''occurrence.'' These anticipated outcomes are then stored in our memory to the exception of all other outcomes and we build a catalogue of times when we were beaten. After a while we start to believe that we are losing out every time because that's what our (selective) memory is telling us. No amount of reasoning by others can shake our belief that this is happening to us because we have a stored history to remind us. We then alter how we play based on our expected outcome and our game deteriorates to cause even more problems. After a while it seems that everything is conspiring against us and area51 beckons. Don't be hard on someone going through this as you could be next. I know of lots of very good players who have ended up in this vicious circle and it's hard to escape it. Understanding what is happening is a first step to beating it. Stopping playing for a period is good as you can often come back with a fresh outlook and a positive approach. My way is to play somewhere else and see if it is an improvement and come back when the ''gods'' are with you, if not I stop for a while. Never burn your bridges by saying you will leave permanently or that the site has it in for you. This will only alienate you from the other players sympathy. Take a break. Those who think it will never happen to them are brave souls. I hope it never does, but....... it might.
    Posted by elsadog
     GOOD POST ELSA, VERY ACCURATE AND VERY WELL WRITTEN.

I HAVENT SAID IM LEAVING AND I HAVENT BLAMED SKY 4 MY MISFORTUNE,

JUST DOWN BUT NOT OUT.
    edited December 2009
    Hi xfallenx Can I suggest that you get a nice warm blanket, a large amount of your favourite tipple, those chocolates that you swore you'd never eat again but you still got as a xmas present, find something good to watch on TV (hard, I know, but there must be something on) and just get away from this thread for a bit! What they don't seem to be able to get their heads around is that you don't care about the odds, the variance, all the various statistics and whether it'll be alright and "you'll come good in the end"! What you care about is that its been going on for weeks and you're fed up with it! I'm with pokertrev, Lisa-Marie and Debs, HUGS HUGS and MORE HUGS!!! ;)
    Posted by DiggerMan

AND OF COURSE EVERYBODY ELSE WHO HAS HELPED AND UNDERSTOOD WHERE IM COMING FROM.
  • elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY GONE UP....YEAH RIGHT!!!! :  GOOD POST ELSA, VERY ACCURATE AND VERY WELL WRITTEN. I HAVENT SAID IM LEAVING AND I HAVENT BLAMED SKY 4 MY MISFORTUNE, JUST DOWN BUT NOT OUT.
    Posted by xFALLENx

I realise that Fallen....it was a general comment regarding this problem and for anyone who got to the end of my post without falling asleep. Not aimed at you at all.

Take a break, it WILL change but you need to break the cycle.
    edited December 2009

If xFALLENX wants "hugs", fine, I'll offer hugs, though I fancy I might get a slap round the chops in return.

Hugs won't help though. Hugs would be as useful as a handkerchief when someone has a cold. Hankies don't cure colds. Being all cooey-wooey won't stop another run of -ve variance hitting xFALLENx or any other impartial reader of this Thread. Because, as sure as God made little apples, everyone gets hit by negative variance.

Many years ago, it used to trouble me, too, but I learned what caused it, & why, & how to deal with it mentally, & at the Table.

Understanding it is the ONLY way to be able to handle it.

So I spent a lot of my time explaining what variance is. They were not my opinion, they were hard, cold, facts. Variance is there, & it's brutal. Our enjoyment of the game hinges entirely on understanding variance.

Enjoying the good when we get it, storing it up in our little reservoir of satisfaction, & using it to see us through the bad spells, works for most of us. Getting upset & frustrated will not help. Ever. Understanding it will.

If I were given the choice of a hug or an explanation which enabled me to handle it, I know what I'd want.

In fact, both are fine, but the explanation is the one that matters. The hug is the hanky, the explanation is the medicine.
  • playertr24playertr24 Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2009
    I think xFALLENX you should have a break and stay off this site for a cupple of days. Me aswell had the same thought about the standard of play on this site BBBBUUUUTTTTTT its not the site, you controll what you do. when you sort that out you will be alright
  • debdobs_67debdobs_67 Member Posts: 3,615
    edited December 2009
    OF COURSE TIKAY YOU ARE NOT WRONG AT ALL,IN FACT THAT PERFECTLY SUMMED IT ALL UP.WHAT BUGS ME THOUGH IS THAT A PLAYER LIKE XFALLENX HAS A BIT OF A MOAN ABOUT BAD LUCK OR BAD CALLS AND SOME OF THE RIOT BRIGADE COME OUT OF THE WOODWORK.I HAVE SEEN OTHER THREADS RELATED TO THESE SUBJECTS AND THEY ARE STILL ON HERE AND NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON HERE HAS HAD ANY KIND OF DIG AT THEM AT ALL.THAT IS AN OBSERVATION AND NOWT AT ALL TO DO WITH YOUR POSTS TIKAY.BUT AS FOR A FEW OF THE OTHERS?WELL THEY KNOW WHO THEY ARE.ALL THE BEST DEBS XX