You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

My story

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,368
    edited June 2017
    Looking forward to seeing you and Mrs Betterun out there
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,269
    edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: My story:
    In Response to Re: My story : That's very kind of you thank you, I feel really cheeky now though, similar to when you see someone you are mildly acquainted with on the beach, they say oh we are going to Harry's Bistro for a bite to eat, and you say " Oh you don't mind if we tag along do you?" Putting them in that really difficult spot of " S hit, we are gonna see em every day now, and their boring as ****" Having said that ^, Mrs Tom said she is really looking forward to meeting you, and telling you what an absolute gent ( b........) I am :) Good to see you are running deep in the tournies you are playing, I dunno if you sneaked into a cash but well done all the same. I have often wondered how the chips are separated to hi and lo element of the pot when playing Pl08 live, does it take long?
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Well it's Sky Poker, not me, but I'm 100% sure Sky Sam would approve & will be delighted to make the acquaintance of you & Mrs Tom.

Same goes for Markycash, & any other regulars who happen to be there at the right time, they are all welcome.*

* Exceptions apply. In order to keep standards up, no Timeshare Salesmen please.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: My story : Thanks Sean, poker may be at the back of the queue on this trip I'm afraid, things to do, places to visit, my good lady may let me play the odd one or one ;)
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Tom,

If you want to list the places on Mrs Tom's "places to visit wish list" maybe some of the Vegas regulars, veterans & Plump People will be able to comment & suggest what is good & what is not so good, & sort the wheat from the chaff.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Here's a suggestion for Mrs Tom if you want a weird Vegas experience - visit one of the bigger Walmart's. There are 17 Walmart's in Vegas, but you need to visit a Walmart SuperCentre, of which there are 8.

It's an amazing sight & a sort of snapshot of American life, where all portions are supersized. (I saw a sandwich that was 18" long & contained 1,450 calories).  

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited June 2017
    Here's a suggestion for Mrs Tom if you want a weird Vegas experience - visit one of the bigger Walmart's. There are 17 Walmart's in Vegas, but you need to visit a Walmart SuperCentre, of which there are 8. It's an amazing site & a sort of snapshot of American life, where all portions are supersized. (I saw a sandwich that was 18" long & contained 1,450 calories).     
    Posted by Tikay10

Sounds like a nice starter.

Alas I might be the worst person to offer advice on things to do. I got roasted by certain people, who shall remain nameless but one has a penchant for road rage, for having never 'done' the Grand Canyon in what is 6 visits to Vegas now.

If Mrs Goodun wants to know who does the best basket of fried chicken and fries, then I'm your man.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: My story : That's very kind of you thank you, I feel really cheeky now though, similar to when you see someone you are mildly acquainted with on the beach, they say oh we are going to Harry's Bistro for a bite to eat, and you say " Oh you don't mind if we tag along do you?" Putting them in that really difficult spot of " S hit, we are gonna see em every day now, and their boring as ****" Having said that ^, Mrs Tom said she is really looking forward to meeting you, and telling you what an absolute gent ( b........) I am :) Good to see you are running deep in the tournies you are playing, I dunno if you sneaked into a cash but well done all the same. I have often wondered how the chips are separated to hi and lo element of the pot when playing Pl08 live, does it take long?
    Posted by tomgoodun
    It's a sight to behold, Tom, & yes, except in the rare case of a very experienced Dealer, it can take a very long time.

I don't know the exact %, but I'd say at LEAST 50% of all pots in Hi-Low are "chopped". Of those, most have at least one player all-in, often 2 or 3, meaning side pots are needed. It is not uncommon for 5 players to be all-in, 2 with the high & 3 with the low, 1 maybe has both. It can take 15 minutes or more to sort all that. It's made worse by the unofficial 8 dealers (players at the table) who interfere & offer the professional dealer advice on how to do their job. Course, they ALL offer different advice, & all talk over each other.

The exception is when only 2 players enter the pot - in such cases, the bets by each player stay in front of the player & are not "pulled in" so it makes it very easy to distribute the split pot.

When 3 or more enter the pot, the chips are generally "pulled in" to the middle, & a good dealer will then cut them into 2 equal stacks (one for the high, one for the low) to speed up the payout process.

Also worth noting that PLO8 is, obviously, a Pot Limit game, so when the player says "pot" the dealer needs to know the exact pot size.

The players should know the pot size of course, but most are online players, where it is done for them by the software, or are not numerate, & so cant work it out themselves.     

• Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: My story : Well it's Sky Poker, not me, but I'm 100% sure Sky Sam would approve & will be delighted to make the acquaintance of you & Mrs Tom. Same goes for Markycash, & any other regulars who happen to be there at the right time, they are all welcome.*   * Exceptions apply. In order to keep standards up, no Timeshare Salesmen please.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Many thanks Mr T!

Also chuffed I have been here long enough to be considered a regular now :)

And many thanks to Phil for very kindly letting me be his +1 too!

So does 2 invites = double free drinks? Plus Matt said the drinks were on him at the welcome party so triple free drinks? This could all get a bit messy lol :-p

In Response to Re: My story:
    In Response to Re: My story : Tom, If you want to list the places on Mrs Tom's "places to visit wish list" maybe some of the Vegas regulars, veterans & Plump People will be able to comment & suggest what is good & what is not so good, & sort the wheat from the chaff.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Slightly concerned regarding which category I fall into here? Maybe all of them lol?

Really looking forward to catching up with some familiar faces from last time and meeting some others for the first time this year.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Here's a suggestion for Mrs Tom if you want a weird Vegas experience - visit one of the bigger Walmart's. There are 17 Walmart's in Vegas, but you need to visit a Walmart SuperCentre, of which there are 8. It's an amazing site & a sort of snapshot of American life, where all portions are supersized. (I saw a sandwich that was 18" long & contained 1,450 calories).     
    Posted by Tikay10
    I like the one in Henderson, utterly massive.

Will gladly give Tom and Mrs Goodun a drive over for supplies and a browse if they wish. As long as I have a hire car which I should do.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,743
    edited June 2017
    Thank you all for your replies and I'm humbled but the kindness shown towards me and my good lady.
    Phil, it will be a pleasure to meet you and say thanks for all the help you gave me during one of THE worst periods of my working life.
    Marky, that's a very kind offer, we may take you up on it, I informed my good lady and she reminded me we have actually been to one of the Wallmarts, crazy stuff with beans in one aisle and motorbikes in the next :)
    Poker has been going ok, I actually have enough in my account to make a small withdrawal ,unfortunately when I tried to do so that's when I found out the card I have on my account has expired, easy solution yes? Not according to a well known high street bank ( who are currently being investigated for fraud during the banking crisis)
    Cue the obligatory call to the ' out of town' call centre, apparently when we moved house the letter my good lady sent saying change ' OUR' address translated to 'MY' address, so her address was changed mine however stayed at the old one.
    How hard is it to understand the fact we have been married 29 years, have a joint account, and a mortgage with the same bank that we do actually live at the same address?
    After a lengthy call to aforementioned call centre speaking to a very nice chap with an accent so strong I had immense difficulty understanding what he was saying ( I know how people feel listening to me now) I eventually got an appointment at my not so local bank at 7:30am today , they open at 9am :(
    Wish me luck.
    Peace all x
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: My story : I like the one in Henderson, utterly massive. Will gladly give Tom and Mrs Goodun a drive over for supplies and a browse if they wish. As long as I have a hire car which I should do.
    Posted by markycash
    (Walmarts in Las Vegas).

My favourite is the one on West Charlston, or the one right by the runway at McCarron. There are, I think, 17 of them in Las Vegas, of which 8 are "Super Centres".

If you don't have a car, I'll be first reserve to take Mr & Mrs Tom to
    Walmart.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: My story : (Walmarts in Las Vegas). 
    Posted by Tikay10
    Point taken Henderson doesn't = Las Vegas.

The one I meant is so easy to get to it feels like the same thing though. Join the I25 near Caesars and the Wallart I mean is just off one of the exit ramps. 

I'm not sure I have ever been to a Wallmart in Vegas lol as I always just go to that 1. If I don't have a car then maybe you could chuck me in the boot if you take Mr and Mrs Goodun and I can 'do Wallmart' Vegas style and see if there is a difference :)

• Options
    edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: My story : (Walmarts in Las Vegas). My favourite is the one on West Charlston, or the one right by the runway at McCarron. There are, I think, 17 of them in Las Vegas, of which 8 are "Super Centres". If you don't have a car, I'll be first reserve to take Mr & Mrs Tom to Walmart.
    Posted by Tikay10
    :) 
    Mrs Goodun has enquired " Do they sell Michael Kors handbags at Wallmart?", as the " definately" real one I purchased from a street vendor in Barbados last year seems to be falling apart :)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: My story : :)  Mrs Goodun has enquired " Do they sell Michael Kors handbags at Wallmart?", as the " definately" real one I purchased from a street vendor in Barbados last year seems to be falling apart :)
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Believe you me, Tom, they sell EVERYTHNG at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/c/brand/michael-michael-kors-handbags

Visiting a Walmart is like a snapshot of American life, it's endlessly fascinating.

• Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: My story : Believe you me, Tom, they sell EVERYTHNG at Walmart. https://www.walmart.com/c/brand/michael-michael-kors-handbags Visiting a Walmart is like a snapshot of American life, it's endlessly fascinating.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    They sell everything at Walmart and you still came away with stuff like this?

incred.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    I have mentioned previously how proud I am of my children, I suppose it's a common thing for a dad to say.
    My son helped me with our decking in the garden as avid readers will remember, he seems to no longer need my 'guidance' on the decking front, a few weeks ago he did a great job in his girlfriends parents garden, and for the last couple of weekends ( when the weather was scorchio) he was working at a friends house doing quite a big job.
    My dear daughters bf helped him one morning, I went to pick him up at mid-day and it was crazy hot, I said to my son " Call it a day, you will pass out in this heat", he got a bit tetchy with me and said " I'm being paid for this and I'm going to finish it, not leave it half done".
    Well, I suppose that shows the measure of his principles, although I do think he should have had a rest due to the heat.

I sent my dear daughter a text on Monday ( as I do every day) she said my son had taken the day off work and was taking her out to lunch, he is aware of what a tough time she is having lately, I was quite emotional hearing that, it just shows that even though they can fight like cat and dog when they are young, the love for each other remains.
    Be good x
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,168
    edited June 2017
    I have mentioned previously how proud I am of my children, I suppose it's a common thing for a dad to say. My son helped me with our decking in the garden as avid readers will remember, he seems to no longer need my 'guidance' on the decking front, a few weeks ago he did a great job in his girlfriends parents garden, and for the last couple of weekends ( when the weather was scorchio) he was working at a friends house doing quite a big job. My dear daughters bf helped him one morning, I went to pick him up at mid-day and it was crazy hot, I said to my son " Call it a day, you will pass out in this heat", he got a bit tetchy with me and said " I'm being paid for this and I'm going to finish it, not leave it half done". Well, I suppose that shows the measure of his principles, although I do think he should have had a rest due to the heat. I sent my dear daughter a text on Monday ( as I do every day) she said my son had taken the day off work and was taking her out to lunch, he is aware of what a tough time she is having lately, I was quite emotional hearing that, it just shows that even though they can fight like cat and dog when they are young, the love for each other remains. Be good x
    Posted by tomgoodun

Love this post Tom. 

My two bicker for fun, I would love to think Evan would take his siter out in the future........fingers crossed.
  • Options
    IrishRoseIrishRose Member Posts: 1,663
    edited July 2017
    ..Vegas :) Well, she found a really good deal for the week we have booked off work starting the 9th of July,
    Posted by tomgoodun

Wow Mr Tom - you really have married a diamond :)   Hope you manage to sneak a few games of poker into your Vegas visit and have a few cashes to spoil your lady wife and family.  

Keep well and drink lots of water out there too - it's mega mega mega hot!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I certainly have Rose, I'm such a lucky man, see you on the plane to Veags :)
    Played my last tournaments today before the hol, managed to win one of them, the £5 PL08 bh.
    I was talking to a friend recently about my body mass, it got me thinking as I do, I woke up the next morning and was viewing my body in the full length mirror ( not a pretty sight these days)
    My good lady was awake in bed and asked why I was looking so sad, I told her how I felt, she replied " Don't be silly Tom, for a man of your age and all the treatment, radiotherapy you had you look **** fine"

A few kind words go a long way, I really must try it some day.

Looking forward to meeting Eamonn, Sir Tikay, Rose, and all the sky peeps.
    Be good whilst I'm away.x
  • Options
    day4eire76day4eire76 Member Posts: 912
    edited July 2017
    Have a fantastic time Tom.

Well deserved break .
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,054
    edited July 2017
    Nice result tonight Tom.

Have a good holiday.